From Jan. 20 to Feb. 5, 2017, the California Adventure
|Disney Publicity Photo|
The Lunar New Year is traditionally celebrated within Chinese, Korean and Vietnamese cultures and commemorates the moment when both the sun and the moon begin their journey for another year.
Prior to “World of Color,” each night of the celebration, a new feature called “Hurry Home” will tell the tale of a journey home for Lunar New Year. The six-minute feature allows guests to follow the journey of a Little Lantern returning home for the annual celebration of good luck and fortune, according to a Disney news release.
"Little Lantern encounters three dream sequences, featuring appearances by Mulan and the dragon Mushu. 'Hurry Home' employs two contrasting animation styles, with fully rendered CG animation and sequences inspired by traditional Chinese paper cut-out style animation. The story is scored with music created for the opening ceremony of Shanghai Disney Resort by Academy Award-winning composer Tan Dun" of “Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon," according to the release.
Highlights of the celebration include:
- Three new Asian marketplaces offering foods inspired by Chinese, Korean and Vietnamese cultures
- Mickey Mouse, Minnie Mouse, Mulan and Mushu, dressed in their Lunar New Year attire.
- Live performances with acrobats and musicians.
- A New Year’s Wishing Wall, where guests may add their own wishes for a wonderful future
- Lunar New Year commemorative merchandise, including a specially designed t-shirt, pin and the traditional red envelopes for gift-giving